Friday, May 04, 2012

A Wordy Purgatory


The old saying goes “If these walls could talk” but when it comes to some university academics I am sure many professors have thought, “If these pages could talk”. Possibly tell them who really wrote this “legal brief, military-strategy assessment, poem, or lab report”? Ed Dante, the pseudo-cover for the author of The Shadow Scholar is the voice of many of the papers submitted by today’s ‘scholars’.
The come-clean article is a public confession of a man who writes custom papers for students, who for instance can’t speak proper English; this amazes me everyday as a graduate student. I have been a part of group projects where reading a classmates writing is almost as easy as reading hieroglyphics.  Another customer of Dante’s is the rich and/or Ivy League student (I am grouping these together) who is just lazy and has enough inflatable income to ask a ‘professional’ to do it for them.  This doesn’t seem to make Dante too angry, why would it? He is getting paid fairly well and increasing his own knowledge bank of random information; but for some reason it bothers me. No I wasn’t able to get into an Ivy League school, I am not bitter (not really) but what about the kids who can get into Harvard or Yale and can write their own work?
I do find it absolutely amazing at the wealth of knowledge and degree of writing this guy must have. He can write a full thesis in the time it would take me to come up with an outline.
I would like to know if Dante is just an unheard, spiteful college student who didn’t get the attention he needed from his teachers. Is he supplying millions of unauthentic words to cheating student as a way to anonymously get revenge on his own academic experience? This was a way for instant gratification as a writer, people wanted to hire him to write.
I can understand why he wants to retire though, years of typing with no author appreciation.  I am sure Dante will continue to write and hopefully get published legitimately, but what will he show on his personal resume?

No comments:

Post a Comment